Registrations – Use Grassroots

In an attempt to minimise the paperwork coming into and out of the office, the Society would like all members, wherever possible, to use Grassroots for their registrations and transfers.    Certificates can be emailed as a PDF with hard copies following at a later date.

Instructions and guidance on using Grassroots to assist those not confident are as follows:


Grassroots Online can be used to:
Search for animals (main menu)
Search for members (top menu)
Check show results (once verified they will be available here)
Search the animals for sale, for hire, available for AI.
Renew your membership (available between 1st November and 1st March)
Update your details such as address, phone number and email address
Register kids
Transfer goats in your herd to a new ownership
Sign digital Service Certificates for stud goats you own

To use grassroots:
Log on to
Click “Grassroots”  in the menu on the screen. You will then be taken to the log on screen for BGS members only

Enter your membership number which should be five digits where requested
Enter your password letters of which there are four. The BGS issues these passwords. Members cannot change these although you can request a new one from the BGS office.

From this page you can search for members, show results and animals for sale/loan or available for AI. From the Sale/loan, AI link you can check and print pedigrees

By clicking “Manage Your Herd”, and after completing the request for your email address, you will be taken to the main menu for BGS members. On this page you will find a menu on the left hand side and from here you can register kids but only from BGS registered dams that you own **, transfer ownership, record a death, record a service certificate and renew your membership.

To register kids by a stud goat you do not own you can search by name or registration number. Do remember some AI males are dead, so you might need to tick the search box “dead” also in the search.

** If you sell a recently kidded goat but keep the kid,s or sell a dam and kids, then transfer the dam before registering the kid or kids, she will no longer be in your herd, so you will need to complete a paper application.

We hope this helps but if you need any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact the office.